pondelok 25. novembra 2013

Don't be careful with your baby (and some weird fish) [edited]

Hey guys!



A piece of  very simple advice for Slovak parents. "Don't be so careful with your babies!" Yes. in comparison with Americans we Slovaks are very careful with our babies! It's really strange and total opposite to what we were taught in au pair care academy. I am not talking about safety. It's very safe around here. For example I really enjoy IL state law pedestrians have always right of way. Which is nice when I take my little sunshine to the park or I just walk across the street myself. 

America has taken baby proofing to whole another level. That is where we Slovaks just use our brain. I didn't really see any baby proofing gadgets in houses with babies that I visited recently in Slovakia. Yer they are everywhere here in USA. For example this super cool safety feature on stroller - tie it to your hand. Well in Slovakia we just know not to let it out of our hands...

I'm talking about dressing baby according to weather for example. Now all those super sexy short skirt and low cut Halloween costumes you see in every movie make even less sense to me. How you just not freeze!?) I actually think, that is reason why Americans are more adjusted to cold than we are (or me, at least). Also things my mum taught me like natural common sense ideas (don't go out with wet hair, you'l get flu/cold; don't drink ice water in winter, don't sit on cold ground etc.) just don't seem to work here. I remember people in Cooke City (MT) were wearing flip flops or sandals when I was, well, wearing winter boots (and still shivering). 

Also not playing crazy after meal is one example. HD came to HW right after she ate and picked her up and started turning, shaking... Just playing with her which'd be very normal if she didn't finish her lunch like a minute ago. My careful Slovak brain went immediately 'OMG she is gonna throw up/be sick or something.' And nothing happened! Now I play with her like this and still nothing happened. And there are some other examples when my brain had to go through some crazy twists and turns saying 'This would never happen with baby in Slovakia.'



Also I went climbing at Hidden peak again with my Slovak boys. :) It was fun but I realized that I really am out of shape, and I need to do something about it. Please keep me accountable. It will be harder for me to give up, if more people know about my ambitions. I'm giving myself 30 day challenge. (I'm on day no. 9) BUT in my defense, I was sick during that week, so I could have been weak because of that. But it was finally (kind of) climbing  like I remember from Montana. 'Let's climb some rocks and drink beer after.' And I really missed that beer part.


SO! I decided to make up for it and called the guys to a beer tour! http://halfacrebeer.com/tours/





 It is small local brewery called Half Acre Brewery. They make few kinds of beer and my favorite is Daisy cutter. The tour starts at 11 am. But you have to get there at least 30 minutes sooner because, well they make great beer and people really want to go to a brewery for a tour. Ticket is $10 you get a glass like this:
and three beers in it. And of course education lesson about how to make beer and history of Half acre.

And one lovely morning beer tasting suddenly turned to all day beer run. I don't really know how, but it was fun (thank you HM (host mum), I could finish diapers on Sunday!) It was a lot of fun!



We went to Shedd Aquarium with Harper (we have a membership now so if there is some other au pair with membership reading, contact me!) and there were some crazy fish there! And 

Garden snakes
garden snakes. They stay in one place by sticking their tail into sand. if danger is coming, they go deep down. I don't really know how this process works, but I think your garden is not cool enough if you don't have garden snakes. Why they are called garden snakes, if they live in sea?

I signed up for photography class at Truman College. Signing up was a surprisingly pleasurable activity because I was told it was going to be a load of paperwork. (Like I haven't had enough of this). So a big Thank you to my HM, (she took care of everything on the phone), Darcy who was there and his supervisor (very nice and patient lady). I know, I cannot appreciate it enough, since I haven't had any bad Truman college experience to compare it with. 

And since that TOEFL lasts only for 2 years, i'm not getting my English certificate here.) OH! and I forgot to mention. They have whole F. building as a students department. Suck this University of Trnava  with one office open 3 times a week for 2 hours, which were always same as my classes (or Friday - no I'm not staying 2 days longer just to get on staple) and I always got yelled where I was and how is it possible I cannot take care of this during break? Well duh! Guess! :)

I need to get my camera out lot more, cause I don't really have many pictures.





Žiadne komentáre:

Zverejnenie komentára